Thursday, October 11, 2012

Elle Varner



When I see extremely talented, beautiful artists such as Ms. Varner, I get all warm inside. This is because music seems to be going back to what it used to be. Back to when everybody had their own sound, wrote & produced their own music. The person you knew that lived next to you on the block with MAD talent, is getting their shine on in today's music world. The labels are slowly starting to look deeper into the artists emerging with that one of a kind sound, instead of merely signing artist to compete with other artists specifically.

To me Ms. Varner is a perfect example of a very humble, very talented, yet confident artist. I try to be an example of such myself, but my hat goes off to my incredible contemporaries out here doing their thing! These are the ones that are paving the way just right in front of me.

When I first heard Ms. Varner on the radio I was blown away. I fell in love with her voice first. As a music producer, one of the things that perks our ears up is the tone of one's voice. Then we start to conjure up how it would sound over certain tracks in our imagination. I also liked how her music had that classic R&B feel yet with hip-hop undertones. I wasn't surprised to learn she wanted to do just that on her debut record "Perfectly Imperfect". (Hear it here)

I'm very happy for her. I could definitely relate to some of what she has been through in life and it's an inspiration when I see an artist such as herself transcend and become who they were meant to be.

It's a honor to have Ms. Varner as the subject of today's post! Rock on queen!



No comments:

Post a Comment